Cleaning out your closet can be so intimidating that there are even books written about how to do it. Yikes! Let’s try to simplify it.
I’ve found that the simplest way to clean out your closet is to take everything out, and then scrutinize each item, one by one.
As you scrutinize each item, ask yourself the following 7 questions:
- If this item is damaged in any way, (e.g. rips, stains, missing buttons, broken zippers, etc.), will I make the effort to get it repaired in the next month?
- Does this item fit and flatter?
- Does this item accurately represent my personal style?
- Can I remember the last time I wore this item?
- It is likely I will ever wear this item again?
- If I was shopping right now, would I buy this item?
- Do I feel confident when I wear this item?
If you answer “no” to any of the above, it’s time to say goodbye to the item and decide whether to sell, donate, or toss the item.
If you answer “yes” to all of the above, put the item back in your closet.